Seriously!
Get Your Official Serious Sam T-Shirts! (Men's Shirts)
Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Serious Sam 3

Serious Sam 3 Everything you want to know or say about Serious Sam 3!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Solais is offline Steam ID: SolaisYosei
Default Serious Sam 3 Prototype Showcase

As Alen once said, "every game can be done a hundred ways". The idea of Serious Sam 3 came up only a few months after SS2 was released; and it was already conceived as a prequel.

Then, the concept molded, changed. A core concept emerged, about a portable Time-Lock, or "History Switch", that allowed one to travel between Ancient Egypt and Modern Egypt. Let's see how SS3 looked like before it became what is it today.

Note that these screens were taken with the current Internal Editor. If you might see these prototype screenshots more colorful than the final game is because of the increased default saturation.

--- Chapter 1: "Why not put Ugh-Zan 3 in Cairo?" ---

CairoSquare is the first level of SS3. It existed in its current form here and there as one of the "Visual Prototypes" of the game, though sometimes quite bugged. But there was also a weird "Alternate Version" of the level as well. Much shorter, but somewhat different layout and design. And I guess they were testing scaling as well.

>>Click here to view the gallery<<

--- Chapter 2: "What do you mean start all over the whole layout?" ---

CairoTown is the fifth level of current SS3, but it started out as a level right after IbnTulun, the third. And that level had a completely different layout, and sometimes, even an underground parking lot. It's quite different to determine when these 3 versions came from, but only in the most detailed version is where some parts of the level resemble the final one's layout.

--- Chapter 3: Suburbs then and now ---

There was once the history switch, and there were once plans for a suburbs level; different from what we got.

--- Chapter 4: "I guess it's tradition that Karnak is our testing level" ---

Karnak seems to be forever tainted with the idea that it's the testing level. A lot of Visual Prototypes exists for this one, some you might notice from the early trailers as well.

For myself, the most interesting part are those prototypes that show that Karnak is actually in the middle of a modern city. WHICH IS TRUE AND I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY CHANGED THAT!

There's also some History Switch test levels, an early version of the Karnak layout, and an early version of the Luxor layout.

--- Chapter 5: Just Tombs ---

Tomb prototypes. There's one History Switch test too.

--- Chapter 6: "And then the Sirians built a night club under Egypt. What? Hey, come back here!" ---

Sirian Tomb prototypes, some can be quite similar to the the images shown in the art book! But first of all, there's a very early version, which looked quite different from the final version. Also includes textures from Star Trek.

--- Chapter 7: "Sorry, we don't have enough budget for so much green color." ---

If anyone knows some basic geography about Egypt, they know that there are no winding canyons leading to the Temple of Hatshepsut. No, it is actually quite close to the Nile river. There's a swampy, green area, and then a large rocky field. Not even sand dunes, like in TFE. It seems, Croteam also knew this, just like how Karnak is in a modern city. And it actually looked quite interesting! Then it all changed. Pity, I say, considering how bleak the final level looks. Oh well.

And that's all folks! Hope you enjoyed this little showcase. And don't forget: Keep Calm and Row Row Fight The Power!

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:39 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

PikaCommando is online now Steam ID: PikaCommando
Default Re: Serious Sam 3 Prototype Showcase

Nice shit! I like how the early city looks more modern than it is now. But if SS3 was conceived months after SS2, then what about Teor?

Also, what's the invasion probe and the crystalline things seen in SS3's artbook?

Last edited by PikaCommando; 07-27-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:49 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Gehenna's member

Mane is offline Steam ID: Jaguar123 Raptr ID: Jaguar123 Send a message via Skype™ to Mane Youtube: emastarwars

1- I liked the buildings of the 3rd, 4th and 5th pic of CairoSquare.

2- Why Croteam left colorful textures? Examples: 3rd and 7th pic of Suburbs, 17th pic of Karnak and most of the colorized textures of Tombs.

3- I liked those green pics from Hatshepsut level.

Thanks Solais for showing this to us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorchop View Post
I'll date you bro. You're gonna have to put on a wig and stuff some balloons under your shirt, and you're gonna have to pay for dinner as well. Also no touching. Don't even make eye contact. I'll pick you up around 7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mane View Post
That's a deal!
Old 07-28-2016, 04:53 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

FreekNik is offline Steam ID: freeknik

The amount of changes between early proto-version and the final one is both impressive and depressing. Not even going to complain that city suburbs looked much better and modern with all those interesting buildings, retained communication and power lines and transmission towers, construction cranes e.t.c, and the last Hatshepsut level with its green fields and actual fences and tanks around the Timelock (which is a great detail because it would be LOGICAL to defend such an important artifact), except for one thing: these friggin' alien spikes (or Invasion Probe as it's called above)! They still made 'em, but never actually used 'em, God damn it. Nonsence! The majority of these changes seems like a shameful downgrade to me, even though I may understand that some cirumstances certainly stood on their (Croteam's) way during the development.

Last edited by FreekNik; 07-28-2016 at 04:57 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:03 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Discy is offline Steam ID: joey42

Really awesome, thanks again for taking all this time to show us the evolution of the game. It is a shame a lot of things got either changed or removed altogether. Especially the Sirian rooms could have been so much more, I can see holograms and screens giving the impression that they were experimenting, or mapping (human?) DNA and genome. It seemed way more story-involved.

Quote:
2- Why Croteam left colorful textures? Examples: 3rd and 7th pic of Suburbs, 17th pic of Karnak and most of the colorized textures of Tombs.
There's a good reason for that. If you ever visit Egypt or look up pictures on Google you'll notice that everything is sand-colored. It isn't until not too long ago that we realized that Egypt was actually really colorful when it was first built. In the centuries after, all the color has eroded from the pylons, walls, obelisks... basically everything. Since Serious Sam 3 takes place in the future there is no reason for the architecture to be colored.

It's a shame, but that's the way it is.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)

Last edited by Discy; 07-28-2016 at 05:05 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Howdy.

Seriously! Beardmaster

NoMercy Rider is offline Gamertag: NoMercy Rider Steam ID: nomercyrider

Very interesting indeed! I really like the Suburbs album, feels very nostalgic of TFE suburbs (I imagine that was probably the whole point). I see how much potential there was early on in the design life. That is one reason I could not handle being a director on video games. It would just be so hard to cut artistic / design elements for the sake of releasing a game in a timely manner

Reading this got me thinking, there better be a "Egypt again?!" easter egg in SS4.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:01 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

Captain_Russia is online now Youtube: IDGCaptainRussia

It's always nice to see things from a games past, I'd 1+ this thread if I could!

I remember back in the day not long after the release of SS2, there were prototypes screen shots of SS3 in a gallery on this site.

and original, it said the game was gonna take place in New York City, what ever happened to those?
Old 07-28-2016, 01:11 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Plans changed.

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:20 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Dude, it would be more awesome to see a wartorn Manhattan, instead of de_dust3. Maybe fighting Khnums climbing up the Empire State Building.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:42 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  

Jetroid is offline Steam ID: Jetroid

I believe in Serious Sam 4.

Last hax0red by Jetroid; 01-01-1970 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Gehenna's member

Mane is offline Steam ID: Jaguar123 Raptr ID: Jaguar123 Send a message via Skype™ to Mane Youtube: emastarwars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
There's a good reason for that. If you ever visit Egypt or look up pictures on Google you'll notice that everything is sand-colored. It isn't until not too long ago that we realized that Egypt was actually really colorful when it was first built. In the centuries after, all the color has eroded from the pylons, walls, obelisks... basically everything. Since Serious Sam 3 takes place in the future there is no reason for the architecture to be colored.

It's a shame, but that's the way it is.
Almost all sand-colored. There are some areas where temples have been preserved (few) with original paintings for example. I'm not saying to leave everything colored like old SS, only some parts to change the atmosphere a little like a "refresh". In addition, more so as it takes place in the future, one could imagine that carried out some restoration plans.

Quote:
I'll date you bro. You're gonna have to put on a wig and stuff some balloons under your shirt, and you're gonna have to pay for dinner as well. Also no touching. Don't even make eye contact. I'll pick you up around 7.
Quote:
That's a deal!
Old 07-28-2016, 02:49 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Actually quite the opposite. In the lore, after finding the first Sirian ruins, humanity basically had a sort of "gold rush", and even displaced and destroyed other ruins, just to get to the Sirian ruins below.

Last edited by Solais; 07-28-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  

Jetroid is offline Steam ID: Jetroid

That seems especially apparent in the Hatshepsut pictures above, where it looks like humanity has literally excavated away most of Hatshepsut.

Last hax0red by Jetroid; 01-01-1970 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:30 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Gehenna's member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Actually quite the opposite. In the lore, after finding the first Sirian ruins, humanity basically had a sort of "gold rush", and even displaced and destroyed other ruins, just to get to the Sirian ruins below.
Ohhh right, I forgot about that...

Well, anyway, too bad they have excluded those textures.

Quote:
Quote:
That's a deal!
Old 07-28-2016, 08:11 PM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

Captain_Russia is online now Youtube: IDGCaptainRussia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Plans changed.
Egypt is where all the shit that matters is.

But what I meant was, what happened to the GALLERY that had those screenshots?
Old 07-29-2016, 11:57 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Russia View Post
I remember back in the day not long after the release of SS2, there were prototypes screen shots of SS3 in a gallery on this site.

and original, it said the game was gonna take place in New York City, what ever happened to those?
Are you sure you're not confusing them with Teor screenshots and prototypes located here?
Old 07-29-2016, 12:01 PM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

For Serious Sam, if the Statue of Liberty doesn't turn out to be a (technopolip-infested) giant robot, then Croteam has failed.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

Regarding this topic and the whole old and never-before-seen stuff, I assume it would only be appropriate to ask about another thing which bothered me and a lot of other people for some time. If I recall correctly, back in 2006 Croteam made a short movie/video showcasing the power of Serious Engine 3 and even showed it to the group of current beta-testers from that time. Some screenshots from this video (featuring the famous teapot models, human faces and reflection/shader effects) also appeared in that old Croatian PC games magazine scans, and later some short clips were also featured in making-of SS3 movie as well, pic strongly related. Assuming it's been a long time ago and this demo doesn't probably contain any secret or groundbreaking stuff anymore, I wonder if it's possible to find and publish it for anyone as well?

If Solais is reading this post: please, shed some light regarding this video and any possibilities of releasing it in public.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:37 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

It's actually not one level, but a bunch, but most of them are too old to open. Dunno about the video itself, haven't seen it yet.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:52 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Gehenna's member

YouTube Video: SS3 - Beta Intro

YouTube Video: SS3 - Beta Ending

I suppose you know about this, but, just in case...

Quote:
Quote:
That's a deal!
Old 08-03-2016, 02:19 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Serious Sam(BG) is offline Send a message via Skype™ to Serious Sam(BG)

I suppose you know there is nothing "beta" in this so called "betas"...
Old 08-04-2016, 10:33 AM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

@Solais, are there some leftovers whit earlier engine versions - circa 2006/2007?
Old 08-04-2016, 11:38 AM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

There are likely such, but they are too old to be loaded by the editor.

The SS2 stuff was only possible to open because the whole SS2 content went through an update some years ago so it can be used as a basis for the SS2Reboot.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Okay, can it be loaded with proper engine/editor version?
Old 08-04-2016, 05:43 PM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

That editor version no longer exists.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:12 PM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Discy is offline Steam ID: joey42

It's not hard to implement the file specifications of the older version files so they can be read by the current Serious Engine tools. You just gotta want it. It's basic header interpretation and how to display the content, and since Croteam wrote the file format it would be more than possible to accomplish.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 08-04-2016, 07:25 PM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Yes, but it is also a pain in the ass to do so. Not to mention, all those would overwrite the current versions of the files and... yeah, it's a pain in the ass that CT likely won't do because they have better things to do.

It's really not even just headers; a lot changed since then. Old maps all have entities that no longer exist, old models will have shaders and mesh types that no longer exist. Even the database files will likely barely work, because they might look for settings that no longer exist. There's a command to force the editor to open "incompatibles", that's how I managed to open these old maps (and even then, it was crash-prone), but it only goes so far. It especially have problems regarding the player puppet entity, which since then have been almost completely replaced.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:19 AM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

They should start to do "Developer's diary" and then release it with the deluxe edition of the current game. To see how ideas were born, how they evolve and change, same for the level design, level conceptions, story and other stuff...
Old 08-05-2016, 02:48 AM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

Yeah, that would be a neat idea. I miss old Croteam's updates circa 2000-2003.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:43 AM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Are those early 00s Croteam Journals stored anywhere?