Seriously!
Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Serious Sam Classic

Serious Sam Classic Discuss anything and everything relating to Serious Sam Classic and its 2 parts; The First Encounter and The Second Encounter.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2016, 02:37 AM   #1  
ah damnit

Seriously! Secret Agent

Red face I just played Dark Island

It's...not as bad as I expected.

The first map is dull as hell. There's barely any enemies in and there's random furry art in it for some reason. The only interesting part was seeing a modified version of the ship from the Serious Sam Alpha in it.

The ship map was buggy, but a bit more interesting. The Harpy fight was pretty cool, as it had a large group of them attacking on a small ship, which made things a bit tense. The "pursued by enemies" gimmick the map had was OK, but it mostly devolved into hiding behind something while pegging enemies with the minigun. The Chainsaw Freak rush in the middle of the boat ride was crap; you simply don't have enough room on the boat to shake off three or so of the buggers running around in random directions without taking some hits.

The island after the boat was ok. There was a lot of Zorg Commander spam, but thankfully the map gave me plenty of bullet and electricity ammo to mow them down with my mingun and laser gun with ease. The giant group on the other side of the island can be BS, but you can put enough sapce between you and them so that you're out of their detection range because of how large the island is. After that, just mow them down with the minigun and you're good to go.

The third map was weird. It seems the campaign suddenly shifted into a Half-Life 1-style romp, complete with having to walk on comically large pipes that lead to an engine room. THere just wans't enough room to take on the enemies the map was throwing at you. The strangest part was a square room that had skybox textures on wall, a small pond in the middle, and a bridge over the pond. There was no explanation for what the hell was going on in this room nor what it's purpose was besides being an odd way to give you a grenade launcher.

The final map was kinda bad. It starts off with an Icon of Sin-knockoff that spews Gnaars an Werebulls from his mouth, then has Biomechs fall from the sky after defeating the Werebulls. The room also had a random and gigantic pentagram going up and down the middle of the room for no reason. There were several cases where I was getting hit with unavoidable attacks from Minor Biomechs because their AI wasn't tuned for firing while flying around in the air.

The last part of the map was crap. It takes place in a giant cylinder that rotated in one direction. However, you are never able to go past the midpoint between the top and the bottom of the room. The constant rotating made it extremely difficult to use anything that wasn't a hitscan weapon. The poor AI had it worse; they were simply unable to hit me most of the time because of the constant rotation screwing up their aiming.

For positives, I think the map used Harpies pretty well compared to other maps. There was a lot of Harpy+Kamikaze combos, which I think tend to be underused in custom maps. Not having any shotguns was a notable change of pace; it's a challenge I'd like to see more custom maps utilize in the future. The ship ride was an cool idea, but needed a little bit more polish to be great.

Dark Island is mostly an OK map set. You can do worse, but at the same time, you can do better, if you get what I'm saying. The only things that really stood out ot me was the boat ride, the final map's strangeness, and the skybox wall room.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:46 AM   #2  
Khnumilicious!

Seriously! Khnum

Discy is offline Steam ID: joey42
Default Re: I just played Dark Island

I think Dark Island was pretty awful for being shipped with the Gold Edition of the game. Croteam would have been better off asking one of the (at the time) established quality mappers like Ratboy, Kristo or Pompey instead of including (and thereby endorsing) this load of Werebullshit.

If it were released by itself, it would've been okay, but it's unforgivable that this bile was released with a Croteam product.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 02-01-2016, 04:08 AM   #3  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Solais is offline Steam ID: SolaisYosei

What's more baffling, it's actually a sequel to another custom map, which is not included with the game, so this mappack doesn't really fit in anywhere.

The strangest thing is that when working on Revolution, it was revealed that Croteam actually planned to include a whole lot more custom maps, including the very best ones. Dunno what happened to that idea, though. Really weird.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:18 AM   #4  
ah damnit

Seriously! Secret Agent

Quote:
The strangest thing is that when working on Revolution, it was revealed that Croteam actually planned to include a whole lot more custom maps, including the very best ones. Dunno what happened to that idea, though. Really weird.
Probably got stopped because of some legal reason.

If I paid for SS Gold and had Dark Island as one of the reasons why I got it, I'd be pretty pissed after playing it. As a standalone map set, it's ok.

I read a while ago (here, I think) that the reason why Dark Island isn't all that hot is because the mapper was rushed when designing it. That might explain things like the weird final map.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:03 AM   #5  
Khnumilicious!

Seriously! Khnum

Discy is offline Steam ID: joey42

Croteam should've shipped it with a slew of community maps/mods, like the Unreal Tournament 2004 Editor's Choice Edition. Commissioning a map pack by an unknown and in my opinion mediocre mapper in too short a time-span seems like a terrible decision. I heard he only got the job because he knew someone at Croteam (Roman himself I think).
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 02-01-2016, 04:27 PM   #6  
Master of Kalamzoo

Captain_Russia is offline Youtube: IDGCaptainRussia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
Croteam should've shipped it with a slew of community maps/mods, like the Unreal Tournament 2004 Editor's Choice Edition. Commissioning a map pack by an unknown and in my opinion mediocre mapper in too short a time-span seems like a terrible decision. I heard he only got the job because he knew someone at Croteam (Roman himself I think).
Personally, If they had included Pomney's Osmosis instead, that alone would have made gold edition worth buying.
Osmosis was the first custom map I ever played, and still stands as one of the best.

EDIT: BTW the author's name is Trisk, and this map pack is a sequel to his other Level: "Marsh Wastes". Which isn't really anything special to wrote home about, but should have atleast been included for the sake of a cohesion.

Last edited by Captain_Russia; 02-01-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:18 AM   #7  
Mental

Deepblue is offline Steam ID: Deepblue_Seriously

Just be glad they didn't ask me.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:28 AM   #8  
The Purple Cat

Yeah I think I played Dark Island about 2 or 3 years ago if you are talking about the Classic Serious Sam. Though the architecture isn't as good as the one on Otmosis or something. I am not sure if Bright Island is available yet though i haven't being on rev for a while. As for Otmosis and Marsh Wastes yes I have played them both, they are really good maps!! Actually some of the maps I played before should be in the community map pack or something (it should exist though).