Seriously!
Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Serious Sam HD

Serious Sam HD Discuss anything and everything about Serious Sam HD, the official remake of SS:FE on Serious Engine 3.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2017, 11:23 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Exclamation I'm making modding tools for SSHD:TSE and SSHD:TFE

Hello guys!

I'm brand new to these forums and would like to know first if its allowed by the developers to reverse engineer this game (I understand some developers don't like that).

I've been reverse engineering it for a few days now, and have gotten quite a bit of functions down. Mainly ones that just do very basic things, but hey, I'm working my way up. This project I hope to work on a lot over Summer and maybe I can get quite a bit done then, I love SSHD and want to keep these games alive! If you are a programmer and wondering what the modding tools will be made in. Its C++. The game seems to use no other programming languages, however, SSHD:TSE seems to use a little bit of Lua. It'd mean a lot if the developers can correct me on anything I've got wrong, as SSHD seems to be using a different engine than the first one(?). If you are indeed a developer, please, post in this thread what your thoughts are on this project. It will be 100% open-source, and 100% free to use.

How will I be getting the functions? I'll use a technique called sig scanning. So, theres a problem with using detour functions to get the functions. If the game updates, we can be screwed on the functions, and we'll have to repeat the process of getting the address to the function. So yea, that's why I chose sig scanning to do this.

How good are you at RE? Well, I'm not so great. I just do it because it's really fun to see how video games work. I've reversed some stuff for Metamod:Source, but that's for SE (Source Engine).

Have you done anything "cool" yet? Well, In my opinion everything that I get to work is cool. However, no nothing really yet. I'll keep what I've done private until I can get a working build / source, probably really soon if I can keep reversing and getting better!

When will you complete this project? Probably around Summer the beginning of Summer is when I'll start to work on it a ton. I hope to finish it around the middle of Summer.

Thanks so much for reading! Post your opinions on this below.

Also, I want a moderator / developer of SS to clarify that reversing the game is okay with them.

Thanks!

Last edited by Verideth; 02-26-2017 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-26-2017, 11:47 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Discy is offline Steam ID: joey42
Default Re: I'm making modding tools for SSHD:TSE and SSHD:TFE

Hello and welcome. To clarify in case you didn't know: We're not an 'official' forum, we're mostly volunteer staff (Solais is a Croteam employee).

Anyway, reverse engineering is always a weird area. Croteam has released the source code for Serious Sam Classic TSE, but I don't believe that gives you permission to reverse engineer the game itself. I mean, nobody can stop you from privately doing it, but don't expect it to be allowed to release. I'll ask Solais if he can get a clearer answer on it.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 02-26-2017, 12:01 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Solais is offline Steam ID: SolaisYosei

Asked Alen about it.

He says that reverse engineering is, of course, not allowed by the EULA, and especially not modifying the binaries. So it's illegal.

Specifically, if you are trying to detour functions, you'll most probably trigger anticheat and antipiracy checks and the game will not work.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:08 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Thanks for your guys feedback!

Hmm, I didn't know that it was illegal, but in that case. I won't do it. Thanks though! And thanks for the warm welcomes
Old 02-26-2017, 12:52 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Scratch is offline PSN ID: NimbleCatt Steam ID: ansjh Twitter: ansjh Youtube: youMrAG LinkedIn: 77325926

Sounds like a fun hobby project, regardless of whether you plan on releasing it. I've personally started an RE project much like what you describe here for another game, where I did actually get permission from the developers. Fun stuff A little offtopic maybe, but if you're interested, you can check my Github for random tidbits and the project in quesiton (the actual project isn't open sourced yet though).

Apologies for going offtopic, but there's not that many people I've met who understand what I do with these hobby projects

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 02-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Sounds like a fun hobby project, regardless of whether you plan on releasing it. I've personally started an RE project much like what you describe here for another game, where I did actually get permission from the developers. Fun stuff A little offtopic maybe, but if you're interested, you can check my Github for random tidbits and the project in quesiton (the actual project isn't open sourced yet though).

Apologies for going offtopic, but there's not that many people I've met who understand what I do with these hobby projects
Thats great! Its nice to see fellow programmers programming such cool stuff.

Yea, I hope to get some permission from the developers, however by the looks of it I'm not going to get any.

But hey, maybe I can do another game?
Old 02-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Scratch is offline PSN ID: NimbleCatt Steam ID: ansjh Twitter: ansjh Youtube: youMrAG LinkedIn: 77325926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verideth View Post
Thats great! Its nice to see fellow programmers programming such cool stuff.

Yea, I hope to get some permission from the developers, however by the looks of it I'm not going to get any.

But hey, maybe I can do another game?
If you got any experience with Linux, hit me up in a PM, could use some help there with hooking into a statically linked binary

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 02-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
If you got any experience with Linux, hit me up in a PM, could use some help there with hooking into a statically linked binary
I've added you on Steam!
Old 02-26-2017, 03:12 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
teitai

魂クラッシャー

Some software to convert between Sam formats and common file formats would be useful. Or maybe just straight up import/export plugins for various modeling programs. Most of these are out of date and useless now.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:22 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Solais is offline Steam ID: SolaisYosei

Those that are still used by Croteam are supported, especially in Fusion.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.