Seriously!
Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Serious Sam 3

Serious Sam 3 Everything you want to know or say about Serious Sam 3!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
-RT
Werebull

-RT is offline PSN ID: TheRealRT Steam ID: Count-D
Default Igromania Interview Translated

In the Quake 2 times it was trendy to kill the final boss with the "flashlight". That's how they called the very first pistol in the game — so crappy it had infinite ammo, and it's main gameplay advantage was lighting the dark rooms. When after long hours twenty-meter monster fell down dead, the players were faced a simple revelations: the enemies in the games are infinitely weak. Even the biggest and baddest of them could be, with lots of stubborness on the player's part, destroyed with the weakest "squirt gun".

Now imagine what will happen if you have in your hands a cannon, that with a single blow turns a dozen of enemies into part of the pavement. And if you're with your friends? And if you and all your friends are in total SIXTEEN persons and everyone of you have this canon?!

Something like that we're promised to see in this summer's Serious Sam 3: BFE. Inspired by images of destruction, we decided to talk to main man in the developers team, Roman Ribaric.

Igromania (IM): Tell us please, what does BFE stand for? We've got couple of ideas and we'd like to check our guesses
Roman Ribaric (RR): Trust me, it's so awful, you better don't know!

IM: Back in the day Serious Sam revived the genre of crazy kill-them-all shooters, and there's always audience for them on PC. But don't you think that 2011 is the worst year for release? Bulletstorm was just released and Duke Nukem Forever is coming... how are you going to battle them?
RR: Well, if to choose THE one feature of our game, it's coop. In the titles you mentioned and in other similar action games there is either no coop mode, or it's four players coop. In Serious Sam the coop mode is fast, crazy and furious: lots of people running around and shooting monsters that crazily come at them in hundreds!

IM: Okay, we get it, but sixteen players! That's lots of people. Are you going to disciplinise this crowd in any way?
RR: Coop mode in Serious Sam: BFE is a bomb. When 16 players are tearing monsters apart all together there's complete mess going on. It's very likely that you'd want to turn friendly fire on and shoot couple of your companions - that way you'll get more points! On the other hand, when there's awfully lot of monsters running at you, a couple of helping miniguns won't hurt. The coop is such a hard thing, so maybe it's really better to play alone. Now seriously, more the players are playing in coop mode, stronger the monsters. And when there are 16 of them, we switch it to the hardest and adrenaline is all over the place.

IM: BFE is a prequel. How will it show? You can't really call Serious Sam a story-oriented game after all...
RR: If you remember, previous games were about time travel. Here we'll explain how all this mess has begun. Sam will have to activate Timelock and kill the series' main villain Mental before he (Mental) begins conquering the Earth. Time paradoxes are really messed up, but you'll get used to them in our game. Sam is all the same, modeled and textured from the scratch, so he looks cooler. Most of old enemies, like one-eyed gnaars, will make a return. And of course there will be lots of new enemies, like sand whale and scrapjack.

IM
: And we'll meet many monsters in our way?
RR: If there were hundreds of them in previous games, now there will be at least thousands. Our new engine is Serious Engine 3.5, which we polished while working on Serious Sam HD. It gives us brilliant results dealing with huge crowds of highly-detailed monsters.

IM
: So, if there are so many enemies, you probably have new, more destructive weapons?
RR: You bet we have! For now I can tell you about only one of them - the sledgehammer. You're probably going to ask if this is a magic sledgehammer? No. Does it spit fireballs and laser beams? No. Then what is the thing with it? The thing is in the "cameraman". If you'll hit it hardly (Sam makes a wide swing from over his head), you'll kill a Kleer in one shot. And if you'll swing it around yourself, you'll beat the guts out of a dozen of Gnaars and launch ten headless kamikazes to the orbit. The most desperate players can duel the werebulls - it's hard, dangerous and interesting as hell. As Sam himself say "Gimme ten skulls and a sledgehammer and you'll have a party!"

IM
: So Sam will learn close combat?
RR: Exactly! Now there are so many enemies you can't keep them at a distance - you'll have to go close combat. In example, the headless kamikaze's running at you - with help of a special move you can dodge him like Max Payne dodges the bullet. Yes, the suicide bomber will explode and you'll lose health, but as you understand, it's less painful than direct collision. And the best thing is werebull corrida. Provoke werebull to attack you, then dodge his horns, in the highest point of flight take the dynamite and stick it to it's ass! And then enjoy the fireworks.

IM
: Whoa! Well, thanks for the answers!
RR: Pozhaluysta (rus. You are welcome)! And I'd like to say "hello" to Russian players - our most devoted fans. The release is coming. Sam is about to return.

Last edited by -RT; 06-05-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Default Re: Igromania Interview Translated

Sweet. Thanks -RT.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  

AntonioR is offline Steam ID: AntonioR Facebook: AntonioR.Software Youtube: antoniorsoftware

Great job -RT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RT View Post
IM: So Sam will learn close combat?

RR: Exactly! Now there are so many enemies you can't keep them at a distance - you'll have to go close combat. In example, the headless kamikaze's running at you - with help of a special move you can dodge him like Max Payne dodges the bullet. Yes, the suicide bomber will explode and you'll lose health, but as you understand, it's less painful than direct collision. And the best thing is werebull corrida. Provoke werebull to attack you, then dodge his horns, in the highest point of flight take the dynamite and stick it to it's ass! And then enjoy the fireworks.
Max Payne ... werebull ... This is insane
Old 06-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Thanks for the translation RT.

Can i suggest that you make the Igromania parts yellow and the CT parts red, and add a space between every question/answer pair in order to make it easier to read.

Edit: Or i could do it for you if you want.

Last edited by jasser; 06-05-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Steam ID: BjossiAlfreds Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

Agreed. It is difficult to wade through that wall of text.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Brute is offline Send a message via MSN to Brute

Quote:
And the best thing is werebull corrida. Provoke werebull to attack you, then dodge his horns, in the highest point of flight take the dynamite and stick it to it's ass! And then enjoy the fireworks.
Ho-ho; sweet!

I found it perfectly easy to read.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Spy Killah

Seriously! Reaper

Thanks a lot! I spaced it out a bit to make it easier on the eyes
Old 06-06-2011, 05:13 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

FreekNik is offline Steam ID: freeknik

Good translation. =)
Old 06-06-2011, 05:17 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Scratch is offline PSN ID: NimbleCatt Steam ID: ansjh Twitter: ansjh Youtube: youMrAG LinkedIn: 77325926

> Provoke werebull to attack you, then dodge his horns, in the highest point of flight take the dynamite and stick it to it's ass! And then enjoy the fireworks.

Lol! Nice.

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 06-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

Thee Goat Pig is offline Send a message via ICQ to Thee Goat Pig Send a message via AIM to Thee Goat Pig

Provoke werebulls to attack? You mean they won't do it automatically just by seeing you?
Yes...God is a sniper.:D - ZEN