Seriously!
Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Serious Sam 3

Serious Sam 3 Everything you want to know or say about Serious Sam 3!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 01:23 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
λ

Shrinker is offline Send a message via ICQ to Shrinker Send a message via AIM to Shrinker Send a message via MSN to Shrinker
Default My first impressions about SS3

It is ****ing awesome.

I think this has the potential to become the best of the series, both in terms of technology and overall gameplay feel. It is not just a step, but a 100 mile marathon sprint in the right direction. From the standpoint of messing around with beta versions, this one definitely sticks out compared to the others. Croteam and Sam, they both have matured. This is how I envisioned SS2 before that one turned out to be cartoony with an unpolished feel to it. What amazed me the most so far, I guess, is how Croteam managed to create the open spaces we are used to from their previous SS games in this new one. - But not anymore do the levels look very clean and pre-designed to do nothing but provide space for the enemies, but level design and considerations for building up fights go hand in hand here like never before.

Whoosh
Screw you, Duke, with your girly feet
Screw you, Gordon, with your scraper for the back
Yep - Toughneck in action!
Awwww

Mirror link to my homepage
   Arrival Mix | Tree of Life

Last edited by Shrinker; 08-14-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:50 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
teitai

魂クラッシャー

Default Re: My first impressions about SS3

You died.

Anyway, tell us more! Tell us: why?
Old 08-14-2011, 01:52 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
λ

Shrinker is offline Send a message via ICQ to Shrinker Send a message via AIM to Shrinker Send a message via MSN to Shrinker

I wanted to kill that headless man with a headshot, but... HE HAS NO HEAD!!!
   Arrival Mix | Tree of Life

Old 08-14-2011, 01:55 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  

AntonioR is offline Steam ID: AntonioR Facebook: AntonioR.Software Youtube: antoniorsoftware

Is that the best you can do ?
Old 08-14-2011, 01:56 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Sweet screenies there, Shrinker.

Lol @ the last one.

No head? (yes, I know)

What about that robotic parasite thing's eye?

250% Pure Evil Purple (Psycho) Sandwich.

Thank you very ****ing much.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Deepblue is offline Steam ID: Deepblue_Seriously

I agree with what Shrinker said.
All I'm gonna say is don't go in thinking of SS1 like I did. It feels like Sam and it doesn't at the same time.

I won't say anymore.
But I will leave two screenshots that don't spoil much.

Gnaars seem to have a horrible sense of balance

Oh god I didn't mean to hit you so hard.......you ok?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Steam ID: BjossiAlfreds Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

So has the game already been released or is simply every other regular of this community beta-testing it?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Damn, now you guys made me want to post my impressions too.

I had my reservations about SS3 initially, but now that I've tried it for myself, I think the changes were justified. The gameplay feels a lot more different from the past games, especially when you start playing. Your view "wobbles" much more and there's more environment interaction, all kinds of little changes. As a former serious difficulty player, I had to change my playstyle quite a lot, as weapon switching is slower and there is more waiting with reloading and all, but I think the end result is pretty satisfactory. You can still pull off classic moves like shotgunning kleers with a single shot and so on, and the serious sam feel is still there, just upgraded. And the levels look and feel BIG, which I liked a lot. All weapons feel useful and there are way more ways to play.

Only thing I don't like so much is infinite sprinting as it can be spammed as much as you like (so far), but at least you can't fire weapons while doing so.

It also runs really well, even on weaker machines like mine. I can run it on almost the same settings as SSHD (Low CPU, Medium GPU, Ultra GPU memory at 1920x1080), and the fps stays smooth all the time and doesn't dip much when enemies start spawning. And the graphics are obviously totally awesome, view distance is long and there is an absurd amount of detail, especially in city maps.

It looks THIS good on my two year old laptop with medium settings.

The spiders do climb walls...

Let us out!

Slimy...

Small spider swarm

Rocketmen join the party

I think that's enough for now. If you're worried that it looks too much like TFE, well, there are some parts that do look a lot like it, but there are all kinds of modern touches like cities which play entirely differently than being in an open desert.

Last edited by Finzy; 08-14-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finzy View Post
As a former serious difficulty player, I had to change my playstyle quite a lot
Like I said, you can't just start up SS3 thinking it's SS1 with different levels, enemies and weapons
Old 08-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Seasons Smashings

*Serious Godzilla* is offline PSN ID: Comrade-Devidra Steam ID: seriousgodzilla

incredible! the most impressive part i've seen from these screenshots is that the imersion seems to be at an exponential high. I've never seen urban environments like this in a serious sam game before and it looks simply incredible. the realism of a person witnessing an alien invasion take over on earth just looks so sureal.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  

AntonioR is offline Steam ID: AntonioR Facebook: AntonioR.Software Youtube: antoniorsoftware

Are you allowed to answer how do the spider attack ? Is it "melee" only or do they "spit" something at you like the one in SS2 ?

Those are two kinds of spider, right ? In an interview Davor Hunski said there will be variations of the same enemies.

I hope those notifications like "R Reload" can be turned off.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Are you allowed to answer how do the spider attack ? Is it "melee" only or do they "spit" something at you like the one in SS2 ?

Those are two kinds of spider, right ? In an interview Davor Hunski said there will be variations of the same enemies.
I would rather find out when the game comes out. If they post all the info on the forums, there will be nothing to look forward to.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

I hope that 'wobbly' can be turned off.
Amnesia absolutely makes me sic, with its wobbling effect.
I cant even play it.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:43 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
I would rather find out when the game comes out. If they post all the info on the forums, there will be nothing to look forward to.
Especially, can someone actually confirm that SS3 will come out for X360 and PS3 as a retail release, as well of course as PC retail release? I will buy it on all platoforms, as I did for SSFE/SSSE on PC, XBox, and of course the HD versions on PC retail and Steam. I am REALLY hoping for console retail releases of this game; certainly I'll buy the PC retail version (if released), but console retail versions are important as well.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:33 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Razardous

The Serious Spoon is offline Send a message via ICQ to The Serious Spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpmeister View Post
Especially, can someone actually confirm that SS3 will come out for X360 and PS3 as a retail release, as well of course as PC retail release? I will buy it on all platoforms, as I did for SSFE/SSSE on PC, XBox, and of course the HD versions on PC retail and Steam. I am REALLY hoping for console retail releases of this game; certainly I'll buy the PC retail version (if released), but console retail versions are important as well.
I think a release for the 360, some time after the PC release, was confirmed, but I have not heard anything about a PS3 release. There was a petition in the past to get the HD remakes to the PS3, but there wasn't a lot of response.

"And yet be reminded by the Gods that though cooperation is a friendly pursuit, friendly fire is righteous in its purging of the vile and corrupt. Let ye not be deserving of its wrath for the hoarding of power-ups."
Old 08-15-2011, 06:44 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Just-a chillin'....

Mongo is offline Steam ID: Serious_Gnaars Send a message via Skype™ to Mongo

Yeah, please allow an option to turn off the wobbly effect. I hate those effects.

My name is Mongo, and I like Gnaars. And Cookies. Mmmm... Cookies!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
This is why I only posted funny screenies that don't spoil anything.
You know what the Gnaar look like.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:33 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Scrapjack

Wow! I am more and more impressed! Although i have a question to be asked to the beta-tester: Is it harder to beat the game in "serious" mode?
Maybe I should not ask this spoiling question....it maybe destroy the surprise... but...i'm just a phan, who tries to sit on his questioning mounth....should i sit on 'em more?
"We must assume every event has significance and contains a message that pertains to our questions...this especially applies to what we used to call bad things...the challenge is to find the silver lining in every event, no matter how negative."
— James Redfield (The Celestine Prophecy)
Old 08-16-2011, 05:10 AM   #19   Add To Ignore List  

Since Croteam has given us the go ahead for posting some impressions and screenshots, I thought I'd share mine. I'll keep this spoiler free, for anyone concerned (not that I have many spoilers - we only have access to a small portion of the game).

First off: This is the game we've all been waiting for. They took everything we loved about the original games and made it feel new and exciting. For anyone worried about sprinting and reloading -- stop worrying. These features add a new dynamic to the classic Serious Sam gameplay without sacrificing the over the top action we all love. Sprinting increases Sam's mobility dramatically, and makes the game feel much faster paced overall. This is a very good thing considering how large and open the levels are.

Reloading adds an extra strategic element to battles. Whereas before you mainly had to consider which guns to use on which enemies, you now have to also consider if you're going to have the opportunity to reload. And if you don't, you'd better make one. It really keeps you on your toes and only amplifies the action, rather than slows it down.

In one of the more recent waves of screenshots, we saw a shot of NETRICSA. Some people were disappointed with how little information it seemed to give. Well, let me tell you this: NETRICSA in SS3 is absolutely badass. A picture won't tell you why. You're just going to have to wait until you can see it in motion.

And finally, I will end with this, since this kind of thing is important to Sam fans. Double barrel shotgun + a poor gnaar's face in SS3 is one of the most sickeningly satisfying combinations I've seen in a game.

Now for some screenshots. I turned the HUD off so they'll look prettier.

Real men run towards the action, not away from it (*cough* NoFrag *cough*)
Monsters everywhere
Shootin' punks
Yes, I missed. And paid dearly for it.

Last edited by viper45; 08-16-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:01 AM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

I love sprinting. It's great for avoiding Kamikazes.
Are a big group of Kamikazes coming towards you getting too close for comfort? Then turn round, sprint, turn around again and keep blowing crap up
Old 08-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Discy is offline Steam ID: joey42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap-Márton View Post
Wow! I am more and more impressed! Although i have a question to be asked to the beta-tester: Is it harder to beat the game in "serious" mode?
Maybe I should not ask this spoiling question....it maybe destroy the surprise... but...i'm just a phan, who tries to sit on his questioning mounth....should i sit on 'em more?
From what we have played, the game will be f**king difficult. I am a Serious Sam 1 serious mode player and let me tell you, the game is tough on normal. Not unfair tough like Call of Duty on veteran, if you die it's your own damn fault for not sidestepping that Spider or missing that Kamikaze.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 08-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Scrapjack

Thank you very much for your fast and satisfying answer Discy!!!!
I'm realy happy to see such news. F*cking difficult? I have not heard such opinions about a game since Heroes 3 (for FPS since...erm...since.....Half-Life 1/SSTFE-SE/...
And i could just shout at the FPS game devs: Y U NO RELEASE GAMES THAT CHALLANGES HARDCORE GAMERS fapheads? And than after decades and thousands of FPS games released comes Serious Sam with it's holyness! Hope those creeps will challange!

So, let's get down to business: Seriously a lot of thx for your answer Discy!
"We must assume every event has significance and contains a message that pertains to our questions...this especially applies to what we used to call bad things...the challenge is to find the silver lining in every event, no matter how negative."
Old 08-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Seasons Smashings

*Serious Godzilla* is offline PSN ID: Comrade-Devidra Steam ID: seriousgodzilla

nice screens guys! your making this game look to be the game of the decade!
but I also have a question. do you guys know if there is a mental difficulty? cuz serious on the HD's really isn't as tough as it first turns out after awhile once you start the journey to mental. Mental is where it's really at!
Old 08-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Warmonger is offline Steam ID: HedgeMaster Send a message via ICQ to Warmonger

It's all relative. When I first played SS demos in 2002, I couldn't beat levels on normal and serious seemed totally absurd.
On the other hand, tourist difficulty is rather useless, as only way to die is to drown.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Brute is offline Send a message via MSN to Brute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendian View Post
So has the game already been released or is simply every other regular of this community beta-testing it?
Old 08-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Just-a chillin'....

Mongo is offline Steam ID: Serious_Gnaars Send a message via Skype™ to Mongo

Yes, is there a Mental mode? Also, I would like to know if there is still the old Health pack types, like the 50 hp box and the heart. I mean everything seems to laying off to the side on blocks and stuff too, I think it would be cool to see it laying around randomly like in classics. Same for weapon pick ups. Thanks guys! And lol at one of your screens Viper45 ("Real men run into the fight etc)
The kleer looks like it is waving to you in that one. Haha.

My name is Mongo, and I like Gnaars. And Cookies. Mmmm... Cookies!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:26 AM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Scrapjack

It turns out -based on the tons of interviews -, that Serious Sam 3 BFE comes back to its roots, so i guess Mental mode will be included. But by reading the first impressions, i think i'll have to replay a dozen of times to beat without dieing in every second ...well second!
It would be great if Mental mode include something completely new for the series. (so not only the enemy damage is enhanced, but the enemy variation/location, ammo location/ number of it is changed)
Old 08-17-2011, 05:47 AM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Discy is offline Steam ID: joey42

How about an addition to Tourist mode makes enemies wear silly hats? That should punish you for playing on Granny Mode.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 08-17-2011, 05:57 AM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Pan is offline Gamertag: SeriousPan PSN ID: YueStrife Steam ID: Yuethetmerchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
This.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:59 AM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Brute is offline Send a message via MSN to Brute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
How about an addition to Tourist mode makes enemies wear silly hats? That should punish you for playing on Granny Mode.
And Sam can wear pink ribbons!